First, I realize it has been forever since I have written. I have many stories to write to catch up on all that has been happening. But I had to take a quick moment to write today.
So on Thursday, January 2, it snowed. It was big fluffy flakes that were beautiful coming down. Hunny and Button had hair appointments, so we were at the salon when it started snowing. After dinner and picking up Hunny's truck, we headed home. It snowed about 2+ inches. It was/is beautiful. Because of the snow, we have had 2 days of inside pj days. Very nice relaxing days. Hunny worked from home yesterday, we cooked, watch some shows on the iPad and just enjoyed the lights on our Christmas tree and the fireplace. Today has been a bit more productive as we have cleaned up some areas of the house, unboxed some more items, filled some more boxes to donate and put together some tables and chairs. Just random stuff that has needed to be done. That brings me to why I am writing.
Don't think my next statement to be as random as it may sound initially, I will bring it back around. I love that we homeschool!!!! What made me grab the iPad and start to write was looking over at our breakfast table as I finished watching the latest episode of Project Runway Allstars, I see Punkin who is wearing one of my shirts that she has claimed as a gown, Button in a Fourth of July type shirt with a pony costume on top, both helping Hunny put together a small table we have to put electronics on for the living area. He's explaining about nuts and bolts, screwdrivers and Allen wrenches and they are all working together to put the table together. This is such a normal thing for them/us, that it didn't seem unusual. But it was definitely special.
In our single snow day today, we have learned about wolves and frogs from the Kratt Brothers (Wild Kratts on pbs), played dress up, organize boxes, dressed up baby dolls, built a table, danced, done some laundry, Button asked if she could vacuum... Punkin just came over with two screw drivers explaining that one was like Filipe and the other like Turner (Phillips head screwdriver and flathead screwdriver from Handy Manny). She is now explaining them to Button. All this has just been today. Yesterday was just as productive with sorting and organizing shoes from the shoe closet, laundry, taking care of baby dolls, finding their old baby shoes and discovering they fit their dolls, caring for our dog who had a boo boo on her foot, dancing to 80s dance music, etc.
So, how does this list of seemingly regular list of items relate to homeschooling? It's simple really. Our philosophy, if we have one, in homeschooling is to create continuous learners. Individuals who are loving, respectful, responsible people who want to learn. Looking over and seeing two young individuals, dressed as their creative selves, wanting to help put a table together, interested in the parts and tools, how they work, what they do, all while smiling and giggling, but listening and learning. It was just a beautiful sight and confirmation that, for us, for this moment, our journey is on the right path.
As for the snow, it's been very pretty and very cold (why we've been inside). The high was supposed to be in the 30s, and it got down to 9 this morning. Cold. :-).
I hope you have had a great 2014 so far. Keep looking forward on your journey. And enjoy a funny something!! God Bless!!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.