Friday, August 23, 2013

Firebird Film

On Friday and Saturday of a weekend in May, I was able to help with a film that was shooting nearby. One of the dads from the home school group is the director and I asked if there was anything I could help with. It was really a neat experience. The film is called The Legend of the Firebird. I was a production assistant. What does that mean? Well, basically I did whatever was needed - from purchasing a wedding dress to use as one of the costumes, to picking up food for the cast and crew, to  operating a puppet that will be the visual for a special effect in the film, to hauling equipment and/or actors, to... Well, you get the point. It was a lot of fun though.

The actors consisted ofworking actors from the DC area, college students, recent grads, and friends with combat experience for some specialty scenes. The make up artist was great. She created some really cool makeup to completely transform the evil sorcerer. The actress that was cast as the Firebird already had gorgeous red hair that was enhanced with beautiful bird makeup with golds, reds, burgundies, and oranges. If I can figure out the picture thing on here, I will post some pictures. 

The film crew was fun. The main guy, I guess he would be the cinematographer (I'm new to the film world :-)), was a guy named Chris Newhard. He has directed videos for Train (pretty cool) and just got back from Africa filming a documentary for a month. Pretty cool stuff. Feel free to check out his website www.chrisnewhard.com. 

So, the filming is complete and the computer stuff and editing starts. The idea for now is to create a 15-20 minute film to gain interest and funding for a full length. We will just see what happens from here. But or now, it really was a great experience. Long days, but a great experience.


Prince in lily pad pond - I have to add here that he was such a trooper for doing this. It was a smelly pond, at the end of the day, and he was barefoot. Trooper!


Filming Prince in a lily pad pond


Fight Scene filming in action


Prince (Jared Calhoun, actor) & Firebird (Elyse, actor)


Firebird actress, director and film crew

Evil Sorcerer


Chris Newhard



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.